Chair of the Judging Panel, Lucy Dalton, says:
“I’m very excited about the adventure this new essay competition will be taking us on: to hear what 2020 has held for colleagues around the globe, discover stories less often told, and be inspired by voices not regularly heard.”
The face mask has become an iconic item of our age. Initially masks were a scarce, desperately-needed healthcare resource, but we now see them worn in almost every aspect of our daily living.
This year we are introducing a writing competition, inviting readers from around the world to write 700 words on the theme of '2020 Unmasked'. Entrants may interpret this however they wish.
We have some fantastic prizes, generously sponsored by Minim Healthcare:
- £200 for the winning entry
- £50 each for five runners-up
The rules are very simple:
- 700 words (in English)
- Deadline: 1 April 2021
- Please submit your entry in a word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The winning entry will be published in the magazine later in the year.
Copyright Assignation Agreement
By submitting your article to the ENT & Audiology News Writing competition you, the Assignor agree to the following terms with Pinpoint Scotland, the Assignee.
The Assignor hereby assigns by way of assignation and future assignation, being the transfer, to the Assignee all intellectual property rights, royalty-free, including copyright in the Work(s) in its current form without reservation or exclusion, and in doing so warrants and undertakes that:
- the guidelines which were supplied to the Assignor by the Assignee have been read, understood and followed;
- he/she is the sole creator and/or owner of all intellectual property rights including copyright in the Work(s) and that he/she has full power to enter into the Agreement;
- the Assignee shall, from the date of execution of this Agreement, own the said intellectual property rights including copyright in the Work(s) and may benefit from and dispose of these rights in any way and at its sole discretion;
- the Work(s) will be original and will not have been copied wholly or substantially from any other work or material and will not have been previously published;
- the text of the Work(s) and any illustrations or diagrams will not infringe any intellectual property rights of any third parties and will not be defamatory, libellous, indecent or infringe the statutory or common law rights of any third parties;
- all statements in the Work(s) purporting to be fact will, to the best of the Assignor’s knowledge and belief, be accurate and factual;
- he/she will not authorise publication in any other magazine or journal of any text which is identical to the Work(s) submitted to the Assignee hereunder without the prior written consent of the Assignee;
- if the text of the Work(s) incorporates an interview, the Assignor will ensure that he/she has confirmed with the interviewee that any materials which arise from the interview is the work of the Assignor and not the work of the interviewee;
- the Assignor, being the sole author of the Work(s) waives its right to object to derogatory treatment of the Work and any other rights to which the Assignor may be entitled under Part I Chapter IV of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 or any other moral right or similar right to which the Assignor may be entitled in any country in any part of the world;
- if he/she is representing one or more other contributor to the Work(s) that he/she has the authority to execute this Agreement for and on behalf of such other contributor(s);
- he/she agrees to their contact details being published in both the print and digital formats of the article.